Sunday, July 27, 2008

Screen Recorder Ideas

Screen recording is a very powerful tool, with many uses. A few uses that come to mind are technical support, to supplement training, and technical documentation. I have not used screen recorders myself, but I have received technical support from people who did. In the position I previously held I did work that was unique within the company. This meant that if I ran into a problem with software I had no technical support or person to turn to within the company. So what I had to do was find resources outside the company to help me with technical issues. The resource I subscribed to provided a forum you could post questions and problems to. On one occasion I needed help doing a particular sequence of commands, the person answering my question used a screen recorder to illustrate the multi-step sequence of commands needed to do the task. Responding with text would have been, probably more confusing, plus it would have been a very long explanation. Demonstrating the task using a screen recording took only minutes, and was very informative.

Supplement Training

Something I think would be very beneficial is to have an organized set of screen captured demonstrations that could be used as reference to training. If you have ever worked for a company that has undergone a complete ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system conversion, you’ll understand were I’m coming from. One of the biggest hurdles people run into while undergoing a system conversion is documentation and training. This is a situation I’ve gone through twice with companies I’ve worked for. For example, let’s say you have a medium size company and need to train 250 personnel. You’ll need to set up a training center complete with networked computers, and let’s say you only have room for twenty stations. Too make a long story short, you have to complete training well in advance of the old system shutting off, and the new system turning on. The amount of time that passes in this process is sometimes months, more than enough time for people to forget what they learned. To combat this problem one solution could be to have an easy look up system that provided screen captured demonstrations of what to do. In my opinion this would stream line documentation, and ease technical support.

1 comment:

Worth Weller said...

nice looking blog Bob - and the posts seem well thought out